Ito Group Home Inspections created this quick guide to help prepare your home for inspection, and reduce the amount of items that appear on the inspection report for buyers:
- All utilities need to be on.
- The areas around the electric panel, water heater, furnace, and A/C need to be clear and accessible.
- Unlock all gates.
- Attic access and landing areas need to be clear and accessible.
- Closets need to be cleared to access crawl space beneath the floor area.
- If you have a gas fireplace, leave the gas key on the mantle where it is clearly visible.
- The dishwasher needs to be empty.
- Secure pets in kennels, or temporarily remove them from the property.
- Remove all pet waste from the property.
- If you have a swimming pool, remove all debris and apply water treatment as needed.
- Ensure there are smoke detectors in each bedroom, hallway, and on each floor level, and that they are working properly.
- Replace missing or broken switches and electrical outlet cover plates.
- Replace or repair leaking faucets.
- Tighten all door knobs.
- Repair or replace weather stripping on exterior doors.
- Caulk the edges of doors and windows on the exterior side.
- Replace damaged or missing window screens.
- Replace cracked or broken panes of glass in doors and windows.
- Ensure each light socket in the home has a working bulb.
- Tighten all hand and stair railings.
- Patch holes and cracks in walls and ceilings and repaint those areas.
- Replace heating and AC air filters.
- Be prepared to leave your home for 3-4 hours to allow the inspector and potential buyer(s) to thoroughly inspect the property.
There are plenty of ways to save money when buying or selling a home. Did you know we saved our clients an average of $12,000 in 2017? Click the link below and find out more.